It may seem like I’m all football, all the time here at More Than a Fan, but I’m a sports polygamist. The NFL and NCAA Football might have a big chunk of my heart on lock down, but Cleveland Cavaliers basketball is a sister wife that I couldn’t live without. There will be tons of NBA content floating around MTAF as the regular season gets ramped up. Ryan and I will be talking Cavaliers basketball on the #MTAFPodcast and I’m sure that our awesome group of writers will be getting entrenched in The Association in the coming weeks.
Of all my basketball fan related activities, the one that I like that most is only one year old. A group of insanely dedicated Cavaliers fans got together in 2010 and wrote, edited, printed, and distributed the very fist Cavs Zine. (If you’re not familiar with Cavs Zine history, make sure to click that link and read about the genesis of the most kick ass thing in Cleveland) The first Cavs Zine was spectacular, and so well received that by the summer of 2011, the decision had already been made to release Cavs Zine 2. When I got the email asking if I’d come on board and write something for Cavs Zine 2, I was psyched to have a part in something so grassroots.
Cavs Zine 2 was a phenomanal mix of serious journalism, light-hearted pieces, art, and other personal touches that really made it something worth having. I was proud to be part of such a distinctly talented group of writers/artists, and when I got invited back to take part in Cavs Zine 3, I couldn’t have been happier. I stole this list of participants from Angelo Benedetti’s column touting Cavs Zine 3 on Fear the Sword. I’m assuming he won’t mind since I’m also mentioning that if you’re a Cavs fan and not reading Fear the Sword on a daily basis, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
If you’re into twitter, follow every one of these Cavs Zine 3 participants. Google them, read their work, and most importantly, watch closely to find out where, when, and how you can get your hands on a copy of Cavs Zine 3.
Cavs Zine 3 Writers
- Scott Raab – writer for Esquire Magazine and author of The Whore of Akron
- Cleveland Jackson – the Nick Fury to the Cavs Zine writers’ Avengers
- @_Believeland – the man that brought Cavs Zine to China
- @HoopsBoosh – writer/podcaster for I GO HARD NOW
- @MikeyFiveBucks – founder of I GO HARD NOW
- @The_Danny_Fairy – Man of Mystery
- Robert Attenweiler – founder of Cadavalier, co-author of the play Our Greatest Year
- Angelo Benedetti – writer for Fear the Sword and I GO HARD NOW
- Brendan Bowers – founder of Stepien Rules
- Lauren Cannavino – Goldie Says
- Ben Cox – writer for Waiting for Next Year
- Sam Drew – founder of Dear Dan Gilbert
- Josh Flagner – co-founder of More Than a Fan
- Kelly Gentile – Fed by Fashion
- Rob Hogg – writer/podcaster for I GO HARD NOW
- Eric Knappenberger – @CavsWitness
- Conrad Kaczmarek – owner of Fear the Sword
- Justin Meiser – @CONCEDE, writer for Yard Barker
- Jen Monroe – @JenMonroe, painter of this amazing Mark Price portrait
- Reshae Mora Hanes – founder of Cleveland Food Goddess
- Ananth Pandian – founder of NBA Cookbook
- Alex Raffalli – founder of PodCAVS
- Martin Rickman – editor of SB Nation Cleveland
- Nicholas Santalucia – @NSantalucia
- Scott Sargent – co-founder of Waiting for Next Year
- Courtney Shilling – @cshillz